Thursday, November 12, 2009

I am a Guitar Hero

Red, Green, Yellow, Blue, Orange - quick repetitive movements, more like muscle memory than anything else, really.
I don't know why I still do this.
Everyday, grinding out precious hours, burning my eyes out until my visions swims and wearing thin the cartilage that once kept my fingers so nimble, but now barely allows me to round out "Through the Fire and Flames."

Imagine how detrimental that must feel, deep down.
To be a great metal band, recognized by millions - but only because you were lucky enough to have found your way onto a videogame playlist.
Sometimes suicide is forgivable, I suppose. Hey there, Kurt.

I am a slave to the new age. All we've done is upgrade our shackles. Instead of a ball and chain, these new ones come compact and wireless. Hammering away at color-coordinated buttons and triggers to trump my peers in points.
These things, our Gamerscore, our games, are they essential to our survival, in the hunter-gatherer sense of the word?
No.

Oh you filthy whore, at least use your own words! Can you not choke out a meaningful piece of work without resorting to cheap lines taken from film sources?

Genocide: –noun. the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group.
2. The eradication of the culture of a group of individuals by means of destroying the populace or removal of cultural representations.

We are the teenage SS, Hutus? You've got nothing on us. We have no time for art or music, save for the moving pictures we interact with and the audio that accompanies them.

We blindly trample over the works of men and women who create beauty from nothing, and applaud those who keep us sheltered from the outside world, inside, alone, our only friend a glowing little rectangle that feeds on our wallets and quite frankly, our souls.

Oh yessir, our souls. Or lack thereof.

----

I see this art as a mirror, demonstrating the worthless time and effort we pour into playing videogames, the mindless hours driven away by isolation and the glow of LED screens. Even time we don't spend playing games, our conversations work to fit them in. It's a bad system to constantly revolve around.

I guess with this piece in particular, I feel a little empty, that I am as much a part of this infinite machine, and I whittle away hours meaninglessly.

No comments:

Post a Comment