Monday, November 9, 2009

Roughly Drafted Rough Draft

As we live and grow as human beings, as a species on Earth, we continually develop tools, systems to advance our convenience of living. We infinitely pursue increased ease of living, and absorb more into the fold of electronic connection. With our absorption, we continually maintain separate identities; our very physical existence in real, breathing life, and our mostly mental injection into the void of “interactive media”. As we grow more and more connected to digitalization, we find ourselves with less interpersonal communication. With the influx of online social settings, we reinvent our personalities to account for the growing faceless factor; our masks in real life get removed and replaced with shiner, different ones online.
Many people are instantly connected to one another via the chat system AIM, for AoL instant Messager. Being able to take the software with you on your phone means the ability to avoid needless cell phone charges from texting and calling, instead being able to communicate over AIM. From personal experience, I can understand that AIM conversations can vary greatly between shallow and deep, mostly based on the persons involved. AIM connects people whenever, wherever. We subscribe ourselves to it, creating quirky new selves in the form of screen names, internet handles that often mean more to us than others. Few people will keep their own name; the risk of releasing personal information is too great. Therefore we have creative little monikers to refer ourselves by. For example, mine is sonofatreides34. Ideally, I was trying for it to be merely “atreides”, but that clearly didn’t prove original enough, so I added the largely unnecessary “son of” so that the idea still got across. I tried other subtle variations but eventually had to settle for my favorite over-20 number, 34. All my emails have 34 in the name, so the trend is familiar, easy to use. It almost saddens me that no one has ever gotten the meaning of my account name. Effort invested for no one but myself. I wonder whether it is indicative of my peers or myself that this name goes unrecognized. One of the greatest books ever written receives no recognition among my personal flock of friends.
As we communicate through AIM, our shorthand suffers the consequence. We have a fresh influx of acronyms to stand for real phrases, and for phrases that didn’t exist, that weren’t necessary before virtual chatting.

No comments:

Post a Comment