Thursday, February 25, 2010

Blog 41

I am attempting research into the eternal questions that all parents invariably face; is it ultimatley better to put my child in a private or a public school? Parents are told to weigh the options, looking for what they feel would be best appropriate for their own kids. Personally, I came into public school at 8th grade, having a solid 8 years in a parochial private school. (Well, actually two parochial private schools) I know the essential gist of ow these two systems can operate, and so I understand the selling points that come with both of them.

My internet research turned up some interesting articles;

http://www.publicschoolreview.com/articles/5 - an article that chooses to focus on the balance of pros and cons in both systems

http://www.greatschools.org/find-a-school/defining-your-ideal/private-vs-public-schools.gs?content=59 - a somehwat shortsighted, yet relevant article focused more on the reasons why the debate is even a debate

I recently read an article in Page 11 magazine in this past Sunday New York Times that, while not relevant to my research question, was still an interesting perspective on schools. I wasn't able to track it down online, but essentially the article spoke of a legislator in one of the western states who proposed getting rid of the whole senior year of high school. The journalist who wrote the article was heavily biased towards the concept of getting rid of the "unnecessary" year and generally heavily opposed to teenagers in general. I somewhat agree with the idea of only three years of high school, but at the same time, I understand the opposition. (The idea was met with overwhelming disdain) To leave high school friends beind is no easy task for a high schooler, and senior year is the buffer that makes it easier. This is the last time we all spend together, so why not make it last?

No comments:

Post a Comment